Monday, June 4, 2007

Regent U, Day 2

Actually, this was my first day of class. At day's end, as I walked from the library to the parking lot, I saw a rainbow over the Communications Arts building.

The professor, Dr. Steiner, is a live wire and thoroughly professional. He is relentlessly preaching the gospel of excellence and professionalism in our work. Turns out that the work of critics is more significant than you might think. They are charged with keeping the communicators honest. In theory, at least.

I think my presentation went reasonably well. I discussed using a template to simplify the work of creating documents that conform to the APA standards.

It's a bit of a shock, but I only need to get in three classes after this summer to use up my required 44 classroom hours of doctoral study. When you start a project, the time seems to stretch out indefinitely in front of you.

I'm somewhat abashed by the quality of my fellow students. I'm surrounded by people who are actually "doing the stuff," quite a few college professors aiming for tenure track.

I got Yahoo Instant Messenger set up so that Vicky and I can keep in touch during the day. The last time we spent more than a night apart was in 2000, and it's amazing how the bonds of affection can grow over the decades.

Pippin is also having a hard time of it. This is his first night without me in proximity. This morning, he dashed around the house frantically looking and barking for the alpha dog.

Well, I'm caught up on my reading for this class, but have a ways to go for the other class, Course Design for Online Learning.

Stay tuned!

No comments: