Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Over 50 x 2

I gained 10 lbs. at the start of June, and heartily regretted them last Saturday, as I pushed my over-50 overweight carcass over 50 miles for another sponsored ride, for a worthy cause. The Ice Cream Ride for MS research starts and ends at a local pharmaceutical firm. Gotta tell you -- the salty caramel in the Rabbit Track ice cream really tastes great at the end of four hours in the saddle!

Since the ride started 5.9 miles from home, I went there and back on two wheels. About four miles into the ride, nearly 200 of us blasted down Sedwick Road. Since the Herald Sun was still in the yard, I believe my ladies were asleep at the time ... At this point, the groups had pretty well sorted themselves out, and I cranked along barely ahead of the eschewed final spot. The ride included the ferocious upgrade on Yates Store Road, and the fragrance of flowering mimosas. For the last nine miles, I chatted with a new immigrant from Austin, TX, the CFO of a major local semiconductor firm. (yes, I had my business cards with me. Old Boy Scouts try to "be prepared.")

Oh, well. In another 15 days, maybe I can be in better shape for another Firecracker 100.

No comments: